Sunday, June 13, 2010

And The Rockets Red Glare...


Howzit! It’s 4 in the afternoon and I am drinking a glass of wine at my desk (we are working on finishing our last few bottles from our Stellenbosch trip) while Kristine and Alex are packing up and cleaning their rooms.  Today is their last full day in Cape Town and I am in disbelief because the past 5 months have by far been the fastest 5 months of my life.  The time has flown by and I feel like we just got here.  And I don’t want them to go. I’m not ready to pack up and go home so it’s a good thing I have another week until I have to board that 12-hour plane ride.

You might have noticed we have significantly increased our posting frequency the past few days, which is the result of two things. The first is that there is just that much excitement going on in Cape Town that we can’t help but to spread it, or at least try to. The second is that I have set a goal of updating the blog every day until I leave because there is a lot we never got to cover. So don’t be surprised if something pops up on here from let’s say mid-March :)

Last night was the USA v. England game. If you didn’t watch the game or if you cheered against the US, I have a bone to pick with you. The game took place in Rustenberg and we had one lucky friend who got a ticket which I am slightly jealous about. We had a couple game viewing options here in Cape Town but in the end we went with the boldest choice- we watched the game at a bar owned by an Englishman and it was full of England supporters.  The bar was packed but alongside the 10 other USA fans, we definitely showed those Brits some American spirit.  We painted our faces, sang/shouted the national anthem along with some other American tunes, cheered loud and obnoxiously and had a great time.


After the game, we went back to our friends’ house where we were greeted by some “you got lucky-s” but game well played. People from six countries were there and while there were no Brits, there were definitely some England fans. We spent the rest of the night dancing, singing to impromptu sing-alongs and participated in some friendly nation rivalry.  It was definitely one of the most fun nights we have had in Cape Town and we wouldn't have had it any other way.

One of our sing-alongs: In the Jungle
                            

Met liefde van Afrika!
Callie

No comments:

Post a Comment